FAQ Search List of Maggots
Profile Log in to check your private messages
Register Log in

DAWNING old bay area black funeral doom - archived demo!«previous« ~ »next»
Drassogh
Humus Canis Lupus

Enlisted: 18 Aug 2003

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:19 am    Post subject: DAWNING old bay area black funeral doom - archived demo! Reply with quote

Dawning was an old bay area band from the 90's that no one seems to know anything about. For years I have loved the demo and live on KFJC tape someone dubbed me way back around '98, but almost no one seems to have heard this stuff. I lost the tape a few years ago, but it just resurfaced. In fear of losing it again I decided to archive it, and now I am making it available for anyone who wants to check it out. The tape has degraded a bunch over the years so there are some dropouts and distortion, but I am hoping maybe this will get to someone who has a better copy original to make an effort to encoded it from an original copy that rather than my crappy dub.

Expect a mix of Thergothon styled funeral doom, epic ambient melodic lush keyboards like Summoning meets Raison d'Etre, terrible but interesting drumming, whispery high pitched raspy vocals as though a teenage Ihsahn joined Beherit, And a bunch of swingin' groovy bass lines inspired by Sleep (though the Sleep influence is only present on the live material). Note the occult lyrical themes referencing "the massive wolf", Neptune, Twin Peaks, and He-Man.

Dawning - demo 1
Demo track 1
Demo track 2

Dawning - Live on KFJC April 17 1996
KFJC track 1
KFJC Track 2
KFJC Track 3
KFJC Track 4
KFJC Track 5
drtboi
Beehugger

Enlisted: 07 Apr 2003

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two-track demo is great. I'm not sure how you distilled the lyric content out of the murk, though.
The Autocrat
Maggot incognitus

Enlisted: 02 Jul 2004

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The demo rules, thanks. Haven't gotten to the other recording yet.
Drassogh
Humus Canis Lupus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drtboi wrote:
The two-track demo is great. I'm not sure how you distilled the lyric content out of the murk, though.

On the live tracks he announces most of the songs. I am not completely sure about everything he says, but these are the transcriptions of what I am hearing:

"This song is called "Deeemoooooniicc arrriiiiiivaaaaaa.....(cough, cough) .. excuse me, Demonic Arival of the Massive Wolf"

"This song is called "Neptune Champion, a Land Full of Cheer"

"this is a song about the show Twin Peaks, it is called "Garden Fantasy"(?) ... here we go"

"This is a song about He-Man, it is called "By the Power of Greyskull"
brandi666
Hell-Hound

Enlisted: 28 Oct 2007

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really not a bad rip considering it's from a dubbed tape. I haven't had time to listen to the live stuff yet either, but this is pretty great. Thanks for uploading it!
Baloney Joe
Top-Dog

Enlisted: 03 Aug 2003

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, this takes me back. I remember playing with these guys and seeing them in libraries in San Jose.

Someone needs to dig up that Pale Existence 'Trance of Dreams' demo to be the companion for this.

I'm pretty sure this was Bud (Exhumed, Pale Existance) on drums, Ryan (Gory Melanoma) on bass for the demo (and if the KFJC tracks are as funky as you say, then probably John Farfalla [Pale Existence] later...I'm not sure about the guitars, that might have also been Bud or possibly Loren (Pale Existance again) and it may even have been Bryan from PE on drums at some point.

It's all kinda fuzzy like this demo...
Drassogh
Humus Canis Lupus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could this Loren fellow be the guy with the same name that is now a big DJ calling himself Bassnectar? Might he have been the keyboardist? Damn I wish i saw one of those library shows, sounds amazing! I rememebr hearing about one gig that was gonna be at a library, maybe in cupertino, and I thought it was either a joke, or it would be shut down in 5 minutes. Aren't you supposed to be quiet at a library? (I am not sure since I have never been to one)
Baloney Joe
Top-Dog

Enlisted: 03 Aug 2003

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am checking out his pictures but I haven't seen the guy in like 10 years. After Pale Existence he did get all into electronic stuff. I have held a grudge against that guy for like 10 years because when I was (briefly) in Pale Existence (when they sucked) we did a show in LA and I drove his mom's Volvo back up and got a ticket because they were smoking shrooms (!?) when we got pulled over and he never chipped in to pay it off.

I don't remember them having a keyboardist, but it's possible...

Those library shows were a lot of fun. It was in the basement in Cupertino. Dawning did play this one epic show in a...like...uh...hmm. Like a big gazebo or something? I dunno, it looked like the kinda place you might rent for a wedding in the middle of a garden. It totally worked for them.

Edit: Yeah, that's him. Weird!

Quote:
At twelve, Lorin was "hardcore into spreading Jesus," so by high school, he says with a laugh, "It's no surprise that the music I got into was thoroughly satanic." After ditching Nirvana for being too accessible, he dove into Metallica, Slayer, and Pantera, followed by the death metal of Exhumed and Cannibal Corpse.

At least as alluring as the making and promoting of the music — he played guitar in a band called Pale Existence — was the subterranean network by which death metal spread. Sort of a pre-Internet Napster and MySpace, this "underground tape-trading and flier exchange movement extremely affected me," he says.

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/ebx/PrintFriendly?oid=413860

Pretty funny stuff contained in here about him being a sissy metalhead.

Drassogh wrote:
Could this Loren fellow be the guy with the same name that is now a big DJ calling himself Bassnectar? Might he have been the keyboardist? Damn I wish i saw one of those library shows, sounds amazing! I rememebr hearing about one gig that was gonna be at a library, maybe in cupertino, and I thought it was either a joke, or it would be shut down in 5 minutes. Aren't you supposed to be quiet at a library? (I am not sure since I have never been to one)

RagnarR
Top-Dog

Enlisted: 25 Oct 2008

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks for posting this. Around '96ish, Gary from Noothgrush traded me a tape of Dawning KFJC show along with the Pale Existence, Immortal Fate & Doomed Horn demos (Still have no clue who D.H. was). He got some prog stuff in return (Happy The Man, I think).

Ever since, I've totally loved this KFJC show but never knew WTF the songs were called. All I knew was "Twin Peaks", and heard something like "psstwsst...Neptune Champion". I hope the demo & KFJC show get a proper release someday.

Minimum Wage of Mayhem/Stoner Wall II

Squared Circle Pit
KZSU Review/Playlist archive
dawning
Dog-Fart

Enlisted: 10 Sep 2009

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:55 am    Post subject: steve from dawning here Reply with quote

hi i am steve keyboardist and founding member from dawning
i would like to thank you all for your kind words about the band
it really means a lot to us ( bud burke and i still talk)

our original lineup on demo1 was -
me steve cefala on keyboard with high whispery vocals
and bud burke on guitar and tapping in the drums and singing the high raspy vocals and low vocals

live on kfjc was
me steve cefala on keyboard and introducing song titles
bud burke on drums and low and high vocals
mike rabald on guitar
ryan bonilla on bass and a few screams on divine arrival

i wrote almost all the material for those 2 demos on my roland jv90.
necropolis records and also another label that put out pale existence's ep trance of dreams both were intrested in putting as 10" out but we were holding out to do a full length and we lagged on recording the 3rd demo
had lineup changes ( rabald was kicked out cause he took over 4 months to start recording his guitar tracks and rest of band recorded all in one or two days ) bonilla had an acid trip that messed him up (since recovered and is a proud father and a great person :) around the same time and he was the bands contact at the time the labels were really intrested
there is currently some record label intrest in putting out the first two demos at least -
the original dat tape masters i had were destroyed or lost ( my little brothers fault )
currently are seeing if kfjc or any of our old friends has dat of live show or
cd of demo 1 they used to play on the air

ryan bonilla was from gory melenoma
bud burke was from pale existence ( as was i a founding member of)
lorin ashton of bass nectar fame and former founding member of pale existence was never in dawning though he did want to play drums for us when we first started and he did do a band practice or two as drummer originally
i did work in adult films as a male talent for roughly 5 years in san fernando and i did about 150 shoots for major studios and had fun while that lasted :)

recently recovered tapes of demos 3 and 4 - as well as 4track rough draft of divine arrivak of the massive hoof

any questions you have feel free to email me at luigibros1@earthlink.net
dawning
Dog-Fart

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: old demos/ new demo Reply with quote

just so you know bud burke ( founding members of dawning ) and i are planning to create a new demo for dawning within the next few months
we plan to make it with the same vocals same guitars same keyboard same everything
there is some record label intrest in putting out all the demos we made which would include

demo1 - divine arrival / plus song untitled roughly 20minutes
demo 2 - live on kfjc
demo 3 - full length demo recently found
demo 4- recently found
bud burke back on guitar and brian burke from pale existence on drums
and rough draft 4 track of demo 1
dawning
Dog-Fart

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:07 am    Post subject: doomed horn Reply with quote

doomed horn was a san jose / mountain view based band .bud burke from pale existence and dawnings band
bud played drums and a kid named mark ( i could get his last name for you ) he wasnt very metal but was cool played guitar
some really random guy who didnt seem metal at all played bass
i talk to bud all the time so if you have questions about doomed horn let me know and i will ask him for you
drtboi
Beehugger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info. I look forward to hearing a (more) clear version of those demos.
dawning
Dog-Fart

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: new dawning song on youtube Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u82y93yi7Ng
link to brand new dawning song on youtube
also new records coming out on preposterous creations very soon
and a full length is in the works Evil or Very Mad
drtboi
Beehugger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: